Designed Ganga Kutir and Ganga Awas Hermitage.
"In an age of environmental concern, Ganga Kutir has used recycled bricks from old materials, enhancing its character. The property suggests that architecture married to nature can be the ‘refreshing change’ that we are seeking in our lives."
MICD Associates is an architectural design firm that was formed in 1997 by Channa Daswatte and Murad Ismail, who met while working for Geoffrey Bawa Associates. Committed to innovative and rigorous architectural design, the founders, also the principal designers, maintain a close relationship with clients. They create architecture appropriate to site climate and culture, using materials of everyday construction, including freely available industrial materials. Channa graduated from the University of Moratuwa in 1987 and worked in the practice of C. Anjalendran.
Thereafter, he pursued a postgraduate diploma in architecture at the University College, London, 1990, followed by a Master of Architecture in advanced architectural studies at the University of London in 1991. After graduation, he joined the Architectural Consultancy of Geoffrey Bawa in 1991 and was involved in several projects including the Kandalama Hotel and the new residence for the President of Sri Lanka. He was made a Director/Partner of Geoffrey Bawa Associates Private Limited in 1997. He co-founded MICD Associates and partnered Murad Ismail from 1997 onwards.
He was also a lecturer and year person at the Colombo School of Architecture from 1992 to 2001 and a lecturer at the University of Moratuwa from 2002 to 2004. His literary achievements comprise contributions to magazines on architecture and style and writing of the book Sri Lanka Style with photographs by Dominic Sansoni.
His work includes:
- The Four Seasons Hotel in Landaa Giravaru in the Maldives.
- Ganga Kutir, a small boutique hotel in Raichak-on-Ganges near Calcutta.
- The refurbishment and interior design of the Kandalama and Triton Hotels, Sri Lanka.
- The Six Senses Spa in Kandalama, Sri Lanka.
- The Lighthouse Spa, the Blue Water Spa and the Saman Villas Spa, Sri Lanka.
- The Waters Edge golf course and clubhouse in Kotte, Sri Lanka.
- Restoration projects with the Dutch House, Galle Kandy House, Kandy, Fort printers and Galle Fort Hotel in Galle and Warwick Gardens, Nuwara Eliya.
- Boutique hotels and private houses in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Uganda and India.
Designed The Ffort Raichak, Club Magna Charta.
"The Ffort may be positioned as British but the bindings are Flemish and ornamentations Dutch. So this is basically a cinematic stage. "
Celebrated for his pioneering work Shri Prabir Mitra today does not require any introduction. His name is synonymous with landmark buildings in and around Kolkata. The VSNL corporate building at Ultadanga, The Ffort Raichak, the Food Court at Swabhumi are just a few examples of his innovative design skills.
He trained in architecture in England and Europe. In early sixties he became a member of The Royal Institute of British Architects and worked in Hamburg, Germany as a group leader in a renowned architectural firm where he was responsible for designing several significant urban and housing developments.
In 1967 he was awarded for the National Art Gallery, Munich design competition, in which top ten architects of the world were invited. It was for his imaginative use of space and dimension to create The Ffort Raichak, Shri Mitra got the JK Cements Architect of the Year in '98. His work was also nominated for the much coveted Aga Khan award. Shri Mitra lives and works out of his city of love, Kolkata.
His work includes:
- VSNL corporate office.
- Food Court at Swabhumi, The Heritage Plaza.
- The Ffort Raichak.
- Club Magna Charta.
- IIMT Bengal, a Hospitality Management Institute.
Vivek Singh Rathore
Designed Ganga Awas Riviera and Ganga Awas Gardenia.
"At Raichak, there is no typical style or typology. The bungalows, Ffort Raichak, Surabhi, Shimana and TFHK showcase a variety of styles. This makes it unique."
An architect and project manager, the Managing Director of Salient Pvt. Ltd, Vivek Singh Rathore is a Bachelor of Architecture from IIT Roorkee and studied Project Management at NICMAR. He is also a member of the Council of Architecture. He has played a major role in the Ambuja Realty Group since its inception. He has been responsible for the Company’s design, development and planning, contributed towards urban and physical development design elements of multi-disciplinary projects, is experienced in project development and management of various commercial and residential projects and has been involved in the design and development of infrastructure development projects.
Currently, Vivek is working on various malls and commercial complexes, housing projects, offices, residential and IT buildings, villas, hotels, resorts, clubs and restaurants, among others. Over the years he has been honoured for his numerous contributions to architecture.
Some of his awards are listed below:
- Times Food Guide - Best Ambience Restaurant 2006, 'Little Italy'.
- Archidesign Perspective Award 2006 for Best Interior Design from the Eastern Region for 'Gossip', the neighbourhood pub, Kolkata.
- IIID-MK Regional Awards ’06 for Excellence in Interior Design - Runners-up in retail spaces (small category) for Sakshi Jewellery Showroom.
- ABID Award of Excellence 2008, Certificate of Recognition in the field of interior designing.
- IIID Best Design Award for 2007-08 (National Award) - Use of Traditional Crafts and Material Design Category.
- Indian Achievers Award for Industrial Development 2008.
- IIID Best Designer Award for year 2007-08 (Regional Level).
- Times Food Guide - Best Ambience Restaurant 2008, Hushh (Italian Restaurant).
- Bharat Gaurav Award 2008 with gold medal - Outstanding Contributions to National Development.